Blog #1: Reception

In general, the media has a very bad habit of portraying things that are different from the mainstream in a negative connotation. For example, as we have covered in this class several times, they are often regarded as a cult instead of what they truly are: a new religious movement. The world cult excites a closed off feeling from readers and it simply turns them against whatever movement it is because they associate cults with horrific events. The Rajneesh Movement is no exception. There are so many examples of this negative portrayal, but I will provide a couple examples. 
One example is the accusations of terrorism that they faced.  In 1981 Osho left India very reluctantly, because of his health problems. He migrated to the United States in efforts to obtain more advanced medical care and treatment. There were many rumors circulating that he committed income tax evasion and insurance fraud, but there was insufficient evidence to prove these claims. Despite this lack of evidence, there was so much media presence about this. 
Another example can be found during the construction of the communes' ranch. Authorities were denying them legal permits to do construction and renovate the ranch seemingly because of conflicts in their beliefs, religions, lifestyles, and traditions. When the construction was started illegally, the city attempted to stop the illegal construction. Their office was attacked by unknown person, yet the commune was blamed for the damages without proper evidence. While it very well could have been a member, the media jumped at making the story headlines before even getting all of the facts.  
I also attached a link to one article I came across during my research seemed like it could be a reliable source because it was .org source and the author was seemingly credible, but when I read the title, it completely turned me off. The world cult is not used sparingly and while some parts of the article appear to be unbiased, some of the content is pointedly against the commune with the way it presents certain information.
The point is that the media was so against the new religious movement that they published things without getting the facts. They published things that lead readers to be against the commune and view them in a negative light.  To the media, it was just for the sake of turning people against them without giving people the opportunity to think for themselves. I mean, there is almost literally no publications that were good or positive events or beliefs coming out of the commune. The ones that do are only accessible if you truly search for them and that speaks volumes to me at least. 

I am not sure if I did the external link properly, so here is the link again just in case: See Article Here

Natasha Young

Comments

  1. Good discussion of the negative portrayal of the religious movement. The article is by a Christian website, not going to be objective. It would be interesting to know why they chose to write about the Rajneesh in light of their other work on the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! It's very interesting to me that you say "the ones that [show them in a positive light] are only accessible if you truly search for them". With all the technology we have now, we've become so accustomed to only look at what's on the first page of a google search. This was actually a conversation I had with Pia, I noticed I had trouble finding good sources and she pointed out to me that I wasn't truly looking. Of course, most people looking for information on the Rajneesh movement aren't doing it in a scholarly setting, and are only looking at that first page of the google search. The fact that only negative media portrayals show up in that initial search says a lot about how people "decided" to portray this particular commune to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article! I loved how you touched on the potential acts of terrorism faced by the Rajneesh. The media decided to portray the violence was caused by OHSO and his followers. This was very negative and damaged the Rajneesh drastically.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reception

Blog 2

Blog # 2: From Within